Monday, May 4, 2015

Review: The Sin Eater's Daughter

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
The Sin Eater's Daughter #1
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: February 24th, 2015
Source: Library
Date Read: 4/27/15 to 4/29/15
320 pages
Rating: 1/2


I am the perfect weapon.
I kill with a single touch.

Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince, and rule the kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has it's price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch.

Only Lief, an outspoken new guard, can see past Twylla's chilling role to the girls she truly is.

Yet in a court as dangerous and the queen's, some truths should not be told...

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

WARNING, WARNING, RAGE REVIEW AHEAD. 

I'm sorry I'm sorry but I am just so very, very mad because I was promised one thing, and this wasn't what I was expecting at all. And this was on my highly anticipated list, and now, now I am just sad. (I'm sorry Shannon please don't mush me)

What did I think this book would feature? A girl that can kill with a single touch.


What did I get? A GIRL THAT IS SO GULLIBLE AND NAIVE AND DOESN'T USE HER POWERS TO, oh I don't know, GET HERSELF OUT OF THE CASTLE. But she doesn't because oh, her little sister and her family wouldn't get any money anymore. BUT THEN WHEN OH SO HOT GUARD COMES ALONG, suddenly it's all like "Yes I'll go with you, yes I will!" And just no. No, no, no, no. AND THE BEST PART. THE BEST PART IS (spoilers, highlight to read) is that she doesn't even have the power to kill. NOPE! It's just a whole load of BULLSHIT RELIGION the Queen made up to keep control of the kingdom! HAHAHAHAH. (end spoilers)


I'm not even mad at the instalove. Just, oh everything else. 

AND THAT ENDING. I don't even understand what happened. It made it seem like this book was a standalone, but then it was confusing enough to have a continuation. Which is why this is a series, apparently. Will I read it? I don't know, I don't know.

I'm just going to sum up here:
  1. Slow-paced, nothing happens. Except for one duel. Ha.
  2. MC is hypocritical
  3. The ending is pretty shocking, but then again the story goes back to square one (almost).

Ok, if you like reading about made up religions, this is the one for you. And I guess if you don't mind slow-paced books in general.

Man I originally rated this as 3 stars, but I just had so many RAGE moments that I'm gonna bring it down to 2.5. PLEASE TAKE MY REVIEW AS A GRAIN OF SALT, HOWEVER. I know this is an either you hate it or love it book, so I don't know, maybe this will be the book for you. It was obviously not for me.
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.