Friday, May 22, 2015

Review: Hourglass

Hourglass by Myra McEntire
Hourglass #1
Publisher: Egmont USA
Release Date: June 14th, 2011
Source: Library
Date Read: 5/1/15 to 5/4/15
390 pages
Rating:  


One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should've happened?

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

I read this in order to clean out my Goodreads TBR, it's kind of a challenge I set myself in order to not lose myself in all the new releases, you know? Unfortunately, it did NOT turn out to be as good as my 18 year old self wanted it to be (that was 3 years ago, by the way).

In summary, Emerson can see ghosts of the past, but they're not really ghosts, but rather just rips into time. Basically she's seeing the past (kind of). Everyone thinks she's crazy, so she didn't tell anyone about it. Her brother, her caretaker, decides to hire this "therapist" because she's been having so many problems regarding this lately. And this therapist, Michael, shows her that she's not the only one with special abilities. 

After that, a bunch of things happen, and it kind of drags on. Suddenly, lots of people have these abilities, (even her best friend apparently). It's also like X-Men, but just toned down a lot. And of course time travel is involved, and you know how I scrutinize books with time traveling.

Surprisingly, the time travel didn't bother me, but rather it was the romance instead. I wasn't down with Michael the therapist going on dates with Emerson, who's 17. I couldn't stop imagining to be like 30 years old, because NO WAY is he only a sophomore in college. I mean sure he's not a REAL therapist, but it threw me WAY off in the beginning. And yeah, that's why I'm not really on board with the whole relationship. 

In the end, I kind of just skimmed the rest because I was BORED. I just didn't think this needed to be 400 pages! It was so very long, and I couldn't keep myself focused. This was just a meh book, and I couldn't get myself to care about it, even with all the "action" in the end. I'm not going to be continuing with the series. Oh well.
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.