Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Fine Line: Twitter Chats


Welcome to the first post in this feature which will be shared by Holly @ The Fox's Hideaway, Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight, Amber @ YA Indulgences, and I. I think it comes as no surprise that we have teamed up again, though this time it will be more than just a book discussion. 

The important thing about this feature is that it brings up topics that are highly controversial. For that reason, I will try to remain as neutral as possible. These posts are not aimed to cause offense or target anyone. Instead they are observations as a whole of the book blogging community. And more importantly, the reason for these posts (for me at least) is to see what YOUR thoughts are on the topic at hand. Because I am interested.

Also, please don't be afraid to comment or discuss your thoughts. There's no right or wrong answer to anything I've discussed, and of course you do not have to agree with me on anything. The only thing I do ask is that you don't mention any names or the such. And if you do have a problem with anything I've said, feel free to DM me. Though just remember that I am allowed to state my own thoughts.

And with that said, let's do this!

Twitter Chats

The number of Twitter Chats popping up recently

The increasing number of chats appearing on Twitter is allowing for more bloggers and authors to communicate with other bloggers. And because of this, there have been many more conversations then there used to be. Authors can use chats to spread word of their books, and bloggers can use them to share their blog, especially bloggers who are shyer than others. There is no doubt that Twitter chats have led to more conversation in the blogosphere.

There are a lot of chats, many of them having the same theme as others. There will be at least one chat going on every day, and sometimes it clogs up the Twitter feed.

I think that Twitter chats are awesome, but I seriously wonder why there are so many. I am not suggesting that hosting Twitter chats should be entitled to certain bloggers, however, I do feel as it has become another one of those requirements to be a successful book blogger. The reason I have come to this conclusion is due to my observation of all the chats, and how some are very similar to the chats that have recently become popular in the blogosphere.

Another reason on why I wanted to talk about this is also the topic of plagiarism. Ideas being plagiarized seems to be pretty taboo in the blogosphere. Does this also apply to these chats? Is this even considered plagiarism? Or are Twitter chats too abstract and common of an idea to even be considered original anymore? (In other words, should Twitter chats be considered an original idea). 

  1. Is hosting a Twitter chat the new "thing" to do as a blogger?
  2. Do you view similar Twitter chats as repetitive?
  3. Does it count as plagiarism? Or is it too hard to say or to prove? (Or is it just not an original thing in the first place)
  4. What do you think of Twitter chats as a whole? 
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.