Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday #46

Hosted by the Broke and the Bookish!

Top Ten Books For Readers Who Like WWII!

I'm actually going to split this week's TTT between five books I have already read and loved, and five books I want to read and heard good things about. I didn't want to do a broad genre, and I also wrote a post on books about autism/social disorders for a similar TTT.


Read, Loved, and Bawled Over

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - I don't know how much I have to stress this (cough HOLLY and SHANNON), but this is an amazing, beautiful book about a young girl, her love of reading, and a boy who wants a kiss. MY HEART. Viewpoint: German

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - A recent read that also destroyed my heart and left me wanting for more. The way the novel pulls everyone and connects them together in the smallest ways is just beautiful. Viewpoint: Both

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - HAHA there will always be a little part of my heart that weeps for this novel. Viewpoint: Allied Forces

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein - It's not even fair how many sad and heartbreaking historical fiction books Wein churns out. This is a companion to Code Name Verity, so of course it's freaking sad. Viewpoint: Allied Forces

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - I read this around two years ago, and although it doesn't take place during the war, it's in this letter format that talks about WWII. From what I remember, I would say it's about a literary club that was formed as an excuse for the residents of Guernsey when they were caught breaking curfew in German occupied land. I think. This is actually a nice, heartwarming read. Not heartbreaking. Ha. Viewpoint: People on this occupied...island


Need To Read ASAP

Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys - Heard a lot about this, and it's been on my TBR before I started blogging. I haven't read any reviews on it though but it has a high avg. rating so yes?

Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - I can't believe I haven't read this yet! It's Anne Frank!

Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman - Saw a lot of reviews of this last year! It's an interesting concept, which is why I am so interested in it. I don't think I've heard anything that's sad about it, but with my luck...

At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen - Hey I requested this off Netgalley without knowing it was WWII. So yay! Not really sure what the connection is to the war, but it's Sara Gruen! Who wrote Water for Elephants, so I kind of have good expectations.

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry - It's either this, or Boy With The Striped Pajamas. Either way my heart probably can't handle either but ah well. What do I have to lose at this point? (Besides my tears)

Others in the Genre You May Be Interested In:

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosenay || Maus by Art Spiegelman || Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli


As you can see, I have a thing for WWII and books that break my heart. Have you read any of these? 
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.