Monday, August 17, 2015

Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride
Publisher: Square Fish
Release Date: May 8th, 2012
Format: Paperback
Date Read: 8/2/15 to 8/7/15
343 pages
Rating: 


Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he's doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

I read a review of this a LONG time ago from a blog that I now don't remember. But anyways, I remember being intrigued by the premise, because NECROMANCERS, and then I saw it at the library and thought "Hey why not!". Let's just say that that was the best decision I have ever made at the library. Which is why when I saw it on BookOutlet, I went grabby hands, and long story short I hope my wallet forgives me one day.


Anyways, if you've read Written in Red by Anne Bishop, Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is kind of similar in setting, but with a male main character, Sam. Sam is a high school dropout, and works at the local burger joint. He knows nothing about necromancers or witches or werewolves and hybrids until he's accused of being a necromancer out of nowhere. His life turns around for the worse when his friend, Bridget, is killed but brought back to life (as a head) by a powerful necromancer who only wants to harness Sam's power for his own. Basically shit goes down and it's a lot of fun to see it all happen.


Necromancers, Witches, Werewolves All Under Our Noses
Who knew that The Rolling Stones, The Queen, and Jimmy Carter could potentially be undead, risen by necromancers because their deaths could be an inconvenience? Well apparently things like this happen in the world, and no one knows about it except for the supernatural. Personally, I love plots like this, which is why I picked up this book in the first place. 

Fortunately, the story isn't just a major info dump, because you're going along with the main character, Sam, to figure out what the heck is going on. Being incredibly lost and confused on just about everything, his discoveries come over time in a show not tell fashion. Along with that, we also get the POV of Brid, a were-hound who's being held against her will by Douglas. Her snark along with Sam's is what makes this book so entertaining.


Did I Mention The Snark?
On almost every page? Man this book was just so fun to read because there were lines like this:
I shook my head. "You don't have Hitler in your basement or anything, do you? Tabloids are always claiming he's still alive. Him and Elvis. Because I can't condone that sort of thing. The Hitler thing, not Elvis. I've got nothing against the King."

Or this:
"On top of all that, you're naked. And while I'm going to hate myself for this later, could you put on some clothes? At least just for a little while, so I can think. Then you can go right back to being naked. All the time. With my full blessing."

I really just couldn't stop reading because of how, despite the situation (which wasn't that bad), fun the writing was. I fell in love with Sam's snark, especially when he was around Douglas, even though he was incredibly scared of him.

This is just a great start to the series, and for once, I am sad to say that there is only one sequel rather than the trilogy that I am so used to seeing. I am going to be pissed if I find out that this series is unfinished for some reason, though I highly doubt that. I just need all my answers, and more Sam and Brid, and just more of this amazing dialogue. So if you're really into paranormal fantasy, then this is the book for you. TRUST MEEEEE.
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.