Wednesday, November 5, 2014

So How Do You REALLY Feel About Not Reading The Book First?


It's no surprise that as bloggers, we love our books. And of course, we love it when said books get adapted into movies. I loved being that nerd that flailed over the books getting their own movie adaptations, and with more and more YA and adult movies coming out, I AM EXCITED.

For example, two years, I read Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson, and I loved it. AND GUESS WHAT, there's going to be a movie for it! I really had no idea it was popular enough to be made into a movie!



I don't even care if I have to watch it alone or if it has bad reviews. Though now that I think about it, it is a lot similar to Gone Girl, which actually brings me to the main topic of this discussion. 

I watched Gone Girl without reading the book first. 


To be honest, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but now that I've already watched the movie, I really have no motivation to read the actual book. I knew that I wasn't going to pick it up in the first place, but at least beforehand there would've at least been a chance that I would've read it. Now, eh.


This also happened with me when I went to watch Divergent. Now that I already know the plot, why should I bother reading the book when I already know what's going to happen. This was even worse in Gone Girl, since there were many plot twists that I absolutely loved. 

I know that there are a lot of readers out there that need to read the book before watching the movie. And although I see myself as that kind of person, I sometimes am too lazy to read the book first simply because I don't want to (the perfect excuse, because PROCRASTINATORS UNITE TOMORROW!)

But I want to watch The Maze Runner.

I also want to read The Maze Runner. 


And along with this, so many more YA books are being adapted to movies, like Insurgent, Paper Towns, Mockingjay, that I almost feel obligated to reading all the books before watching their movies. (I also say that Fallen is going to be adapted as well, I'm pretty sure, not that I knew this book existed until now)

On the other hand, I would love to see movie adaptations of my favorite YA novels. Like The Raven Boys and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. That would be so awesome if that happened!

Enough about me, what about you? Is there another reason to read the book before the movie? Comparison reasons maybe? Do you absolutely refuse to watch the movie until you've read the book?

Talk to me. Go go go.
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.