Monday, July 27, 2015

Review: Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: October 2nd, 2012
Source: Physical
Date Read: 7/20/15 to 7/20/15
340 pages
Rating: 


Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

Before everyone who loved Shatter Me destroys me, I would just like to say that this wasn't my type of book. I wanted it to be something that it wasn't, based on all the recommendations, but hey at least I can say I read it! (Thanks to the Make Me Read It Readathon)

However, I am happy to say that this turned out better than The Sineater's Daughter. If you've read that, then you know what I mean.

Let's start with Juliette. Juliette is cursed with the inability to touch people because she'll end up hurting them or killing them. She ends up in the asylum for that reason, and suddenly the government, The Reestablishment, wants her power for themselves. Well, more specifically, Warner wants this power for himself. So he sends in Adam, Juliette's childhood friend, to scope out the girl and see if she's fit for the real world.


Sadly, I'm not a fan of the characters.

Warner is a little too creepy for my tastes. I get that a lot of people like him because he's the "bad guy", and I'm sure his story gets better over the course of the series, but as of right now, not for me. The way he behaves around Juliette is just really sketchy, and I'm not a fan of it.

Adam is the well needed hero of the story, and a little too good to be true. First off he can [spoiler] touch Juliette, when no one else can [spoiler]. And of course they both know each other from the past. And of course he just happened to know what Warner was planning, and made sure he was chosen to meet with Juliette in the cell.


And then there's Juliette. I didn't really have a problem with Juliette. But I also didn't really care for her either. Though I am honestly surprised at how sane she is after leaving the asylum. 

The only character I loved was James, Adam's younger brother. Because he is a squish. 


And the too good to be true ending

The ending was NOT what I expected (no surprise haha), just because how? Juliette's been stuck in a asylum for three years, yet here we see [spoiler] more people with superpowers? [spoiler] Like what is this? How did this happen? Where have you guys been for the last three years? There are just so many questions my poor brain cannot handle.

Just to clarify, Shatter Me was entertaining to read, but it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I will probably continue the series or else Holly will squish me, but I'm hoping it'll get better. Though I have heard that this series does get better, so I'm crossing my fingers!
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.