Monday, August 25, 2014

Review: Eona

Eona by Alison Goodman
Eon #2
Publisher: VIKING by Penguin Group
Release Date: April 19th, 2011
Source: Library
Date Read: 8/17/14 to 8/21/14
637 Pages
Rating: 


Eon has been revealed as Eona, the first female Dragoneye in hundreds of years. Along with fellow rebels Ryko and Lady Dela, she is on the run from High Lord Sethon's army. The renegades are on a quest for the black folio, stolen by the drug-riddled Dillon; they must also find Kygo, the young Pearl Emperor, who needs Eona's power and the black folio if he is to wrest back his throne from the selfstyled "Emperor" Sethon. Through it all, Eona must come to terms with her new Dragoneye identity and power - and learn to bear the anguish of the ten dragons whose Dragoneyes were murdered. As they focus their power through her, she becomes a dangerous conduit for their plans. . . .

Eona, with its pulse-pounding drama and romance, its unforgettable fight scenes, and its surprises, is the conclusion to an epic story only Alison Goodman can create.
So this is the sequel to the book Eon: The Last Dragoneye. Feel free to check out my review of the first book in this duology here.

Chaos. There's a lot of it in this book. Compared to it's prequel, Eona has action in almost all of its chapters. Even when one conflict was resolved, another would pop up immediately. Staying in a camp for rest? Nope the army is right outside its borders.


But man, was it exhilarating to read this.

Following Eona's journey with the resistance group against Emperor Kygo's "evil" uncle, she is still unable to control her power due to the death of all the other Dragoneyes, besides, well you know, Lord Ido the Rat Dragoneye. And honestly, I feel so bad for her. She has a ton of power, can heal anyone, but once she heals someone, she also takes away their will. And because she can control the people she has healed, no one trusts her. And that sucks. If I were Eona, I would've ran so very far away, away from all this betrayal and THE LIES. Oh boy, there are so many lies built on top of each other between Eona and her companions, that's it's hard NOT to feel the second-hand guilt when they are all revealed.

But still, Eona is awesome. I have no idea how she dealt with all of these things at once, especially with the love triangle thing going on. My personal opinion here, but who would want a lover that has a huge pearl like EGG sewn into his neck??? Like no that's gross. But then Lord Ido wasn't a choice for me either, because 1) he's a creep, and 2) the first book, Eon, pretty much convinced he was some old, middle-aged dude. And now I find out he's only 24 and pretty handsome. No no no nope nopity nope.


I have decided to stick with Emperor Kygo, despite the pearl and the times he sometimes doesn't trust Eona.

But Eona on the other hand, has to deal with more. Kygo basically forces Eona to control Ido, and to her it's just incredibly cruel. And then power-hungry Ido also loves Eona because she's also driven by power as well. AND plus he's trying to teach her how to control her power.

I would've been fine with this love triangle if it hadn't been seared into my mind that Ido is some 50 year old creeper. I can't believe he's actually 24. Wut.

And then Eona kind of goes crazy showing off her healing powers. This bothered me a little bit, about how she healed her friend, Chart, who was disfigured. She didn't even bother to ask him first whether he wanted to be healed or not. I mean, of course he wanted to be healed, but he didn't know it meant his will would be compromised. But anyways, I'm glad the book went on to explain how what Eona did was bad, but like what happened at the end of the first book when Eona's physical disability was healed, the disfigurement was also shown in a bad light.


So I'm making this seem like a rant, but it really isn't!! I still loved this book to death! I never once got bored, and the world building is terrific, expanding more on what was said in the first book. After reading this, I understood the different points of Hua and also how Eona's and Lord Ido's Dragoneye powers worked. It was super original, and I applaud Goodman for coming up with something as original as uniting with the dragons of the zodiac.

And as in the last book, Lady Dela the Contraire also appears, and she's just as awesome. Then more side characters were introduced, who are part of the resistance group against Sethon. Personally, I only cared for Eona, Kygo, Lady Dela, and Ryko, but the other characters still added to the plot.

BUT THAT END. UGH IT JUST ENDED AND I'M FRUSTRATED. Seriously, it just ended right after. You need some epilogue....RIGHT????

Excuse me while I go drown in all of my feels.
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.