Thursday, August 7, 2014

Review: Dreams of Gods & Monsters

Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Daughter of Smoke & Bone #3
Publisher: Little, Brown Company
Release Date: April 8th, 2014
Source: Library
Date Read: 7/29/14 to 8/4/14
613 Pages
Rating: 


By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her, if there can even be a future for the chimaera in war-ravaged Eretz.

Common enemy, common cause.

When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people.

And, perhaps, for themselves. Toward a new way of living, and maybe even love.

But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz ... something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world.

What power can bruise the sky?

From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy.

At the very barriers of space and time, what do gods and monsters dream of? And does anything else matter?

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository


 I have finally finished this monstrosity of a book. Yes, I loved this series, and I've been anticipating this last book since I finished the second one, but still, 600 pages is a lot to take in, you know? It's just so intimidating!

But in the end, I did finish it! And for the first time in a while, I have finished a trilogy! COMPLETELY. *cues confetti* Woooooo!


Party time with dancing Groot!

Since this is the last book of the Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy, I've decided to convince you to start the series, by slightly recapping the first book, and also by mentioning its awesomeness. In bullet-point form of course:
  • Meet Karou. She is awesome. She also has blue hair (and I'm imagining, a nice royal blue color, unless I'm completely wrong ah well who cares). AND SHE'S AN AMAZING ARTIST
  • She doesn't know where she comes from, except that she's been raised by chimaera, who act as her family
  • And of course, when she meets Akiva, and that's where all hell breaks loose! Because when you think that this is just your typical "angel" meets "demon" thing, you are wrong. Life is more complicated than just romance. The two sides have been at war, since maybe forever? And that's not even all! Especially coming into the third book here.
  • Be prepared to enter an AMAZING and ORIGINAL WORLD, like seriously, I don't think you'll find any other book like this. The originality of the world that Taylor magically comes up with is impressive. GIVE ME A BRAIN LIKE THAT.
So yes, please start this series, with Daughter of Smoke & Bone. And if you don't like it, then no harm done, right?

Is there a limit to how many times I can use this gif? Yes, no? no????

Right, ok, onto the actual review of Dreams of Gods & Monsters. Feel free to skim or skip if you haven't even touched this series (yet)!

Dreams of Gods & Monsters really was an amazing end to a really, really good YA fantasy trilogy. Even now, I just want to start over with the first book, and reread them all, this time more slowly. There is just so much to take in with this series, and some parts can be confusing if you took long breaks between each book (lol me). I especially had a hard time with this at the beginning, because I had to yet again, get accustomed to all the side characters, the changing POVs, and also even some new characters. Luckily, the author gave us a reminder to who was who, and by the middle, I was rolling along.

Yep, because once I got reaquainted with my beloved characters, Karou and Ziri and Mik and Zuzanna, I just could not stop reading. At that point, it wasn't even a 600 page book anymore.


Everything just came together so naturally, and the writing itself was also so beautiful, and augh, I just absolutely loved how original the world was. I remember thinking to myself, "I don't think I'll read anything as complex and original as this again." I'll probably be proven wrong sometime soon (and Harry Potter is an exception to this), but it was a thought!

"But Val," you might ask, "if you love this series so much, and it ended perfectly, then WHY is it only rated 4 stars?" Well first off, I think I would rate it 4.25, but I like rounding. And second, some things did bother me a little in the end. 

Spoiler time! Highlight to see! I'm not sure how I feel about Taylor adding in the whole "there are multiple universes and beasts are out there to get us, and yes Akiva you are opening up the veil that is keeping the beasts from the other universes". Like wow, isn't that a mouthful? And that's along with everything else that's been happening too. End spoiler!


And also, I approve of Akiva and Karou's relationship, I really do, it's just that I don't really know that much about him. Basically he doesn't "pop out" like all the other characters in this series. In fact, I think I'm more fascinated by (spoiler) Ziri's and Lizrael's relationship, and then of course there's Mik and Zuzanna, who are totally badass. 


In the end though, I definitely recommend this series. I know, I'm done I'm done, ok? But it was just so mesmerizing and beautiful, and gah. It was a great experience, and now I'm just SO SAD that it's over. 

42 comments:

  1. One of these days I'm going to start this trilogy. Congrats on finishing, 600 pages is quite a bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those bastards who skimmed the review. Haha. BUT BUT BUT I HAVE A GOOD REASON WHY!!! I haven't read this series yet. As in never. But I WILL. Especially since everyone raves about it. I've been iffy about angels and demon thing for a long time now, especially after reading particularly bad ones, but I'm willing to give an exemption to this one as it seems so very exemplary. I can't wait to meet the kickassness of Karou! :D :D

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FAYE I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU. Just kidding. Yes you should definitely give it a try! I would love to see what your thoughts are about the first book haha!

      Delete
  3. Yeah that's true! They're actually really hard books to find for some reason, maybe because they don't exactly fit the paranormal genre, but it's not exactly full on fantasy either? Either way, I hope you have better luck with finding the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this book today. Definitely one of the best trilogies I've read in awhile! I actually only picked it up because Im going to Prague next year but then the story was so great I was hooked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think I went in blind, I didn't know it was about Prague, but I thought that setting was awesome. ALSO ORIGINAL TOO. Not many books out there set in Europe! (especially fantasy ones)

      Delete
  5. Whenever I see a review of this series I always get ashamed and feel like a loner because I'm one of the few people who haven't read it yet, despite all the praise it's gotten. I keep requesting it from my library, but then when I go to read it, I get...intimidated for some reason. But your review has really convinced me to give it a try! :D Thanks for sharing Valerie, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I totally understand. Sure the first book seems normal, I think it was only 300 pages, but then the second book was around 500, AND THEN THIS ONE WAS OVER 600!!! Definitely intimidating. But I'm glad you've decided to give it another try!

      Delete
  6. I was so intimidated by the size too; it’s frightening even now!

    I imagine a royal blue as well ;) And there is NO LIMIT for that gif! It’s my go-to for any five star read.

    The ending was a bit of a WTF moment, but I like to think it’s there so Taylor has an opening for a spin-off series fighting the beasties ;)

    Oh thank god someone else is more interested in Ziri’s fate than Akiva and Karou. I shipped the two so hard, but - really - we all knew how that would end. BUT ZIRI.

    Now I need to go reread the series - thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah royal blue is just so pretty and cool looking! And ugh 600 pages, I can't believe I got through it. Luckily the spacing was big.

      I WANT A SPIN OFF SERIES! I would definitely read it! And that didn't even occur to me, so I guess the ending is ok then! LOL

      AND ZIRI WAS AWESOME! I have a little trouble picturing him, but his CONCEPT IS COOL!

      Delete
    2. I always picture the Kirin as kind of like a Mr. Tumnus, but taller and sexier. But that's just me :P

      Delete
  7. Lol, I do love that #read the book gif xD I enjoyed DoSB. I don't know why I never continued. The world-building was stellar, the characters were great, and the story was original and engaging. Lovely review, you've convinced me to continue reading the series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's one of those series that have a lot of information, so it makes sense that some people never find the motivation to finish it. BUT DEF GO FINISH IT! That's why I review books LOL.

      Delete
  8. I know you were super afraid of this book since it was so huge (600+ pages is crazy!) so I'm really relieved it wasn't a waste of time after all! Everyone seems to be saying the same thing: how Dreams of Gods & Monsters was the perfect end to this series. It makes me sooo happy because I've read some pretty crappy final books which is just such a shame, since those were series I was really invested in.

    Laini Taylor has gorgeous writing, ermahgerd, and this series has to have one of the most original fantasy plots I've read about in a long, long time. Too bad about that certain bad thing, though. I have no idea what it is, because I hate spoilers with a passion (so thanks for blanking it out, hehe), but I'm just happy it wasn't that much a problem overall. To be honest, I didn't see the appeal of Akiva even in the first book, soooo... :P

    Zuzanna forever, though. Even her name is awesome! Brilliant review, lovely -- can't wait to read this one, once I re-read the first two books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh crappy final books are the worst, and I haven't come across them yet, though that's because I haven't actually finished any series BESIDES this one (woot woot)! But this one definitely had a good ending! It was super realistic, but also NOT DEPRESSING.

      UGH HER WRITING IS BYOOTIFUL! AND yes yes YES YES SO ORIGINAL! Haha and don't you love my spoiler system? So pro! And yeah, I don't really like Akiva that much, I mean he's just there. I like all the other characters though.

      ZUZANNA <3 and MIK <3 They're so cute!!

      Thanks for stalking me Megan! As usual!

      Delete
  9. Since I've not read the series, I skimmed your review but you do know that I just got Daughter of Smoke and Bone in audio and I have a copy of book 2 up for review! I need to get started on this asap ^.^ I feel like I'm kissing out on a great series and you rating is high enough for me to get excited! I'm glad you enjoyed the final book in the series Val! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD DECISION! I was mentally rooting for you to get it (though the choices between those three books was hard). Get started on this now! Put everything aside for it! go go go go. (jk)

      "I feel like I'm kissing out on a great series" YES. YES YOU ARE. WHATEVER THAT MEANS LOL (just kidding I know what you meant)

      Delete
  10. The first book really bored me and I haven't even finished with it yet D: bummer! I just skimmed through your review too but I feel the FEELS (feel the feels like wHAT) especially with those gifs! Can I borrow that #READTHEBOOK gif, it just matches any situation my fave books are involve! 600 pages is real scary, a bit intimidating, but since the series is dear to you, 600 pages is nothing :> (well no, it's still a long way but yes FEELS). And congrats to your first ever trilogy *throws popcorns and cookies in the air*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha definitely borrow it, though it's not mine, it's from tumblr :D

      Sorry to hear the first book bored you! I read it 2 years ago, but it only took one day, and I was hooked. But then again that was before my book blog and before reading ALL THESE BOOKS. One day I will definitely reread all of them though.

      GIMME THAT POPCORN AND COOKIES!

      Delete
  11. Oh man, this looks SOOO good! I'm still at book 2 which I didn't even pick up yet...but that's coz I forgot to buy it when I was buying many books. Now I have to wait a little. Anyway, I'm glad you like the MC, the world-building and the writing very much. That author is really one of the kind. And, haha, I don't think I've finish a trilogy this year...Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finishing trilogies is really hard, isn't it? And I hope you get to buy the rest of the series, it's definitely worth it! I would buy book 2 and 3, but the prices are still a little much for me. I might just wait until they're in paperback :D

      Delete
  12. I am SO looking forward to reading this book! Like seriously, I loved Books 1&2 and I so agree with these GIFs too haha! (I'm crying because Groot is so cute)! Awesome review Val :)

    I also nominated you for theSunshine Award on my blog!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ ITTTTT

      And YES GROOT IS ADORABLE (the movie was awesome, don't cha think?)

      AND WOAH SUNSHINE AWARD!?? Thanks Katrina! :D

      Delete
  13. I definitely had similar thoughts about this one, but it was just too much smooshed together. I wanted a whole fourth book to really get into the meat of the spoilery thing you mention >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I feel like they introduced something completely new in such little time at the end, that I wanted more from it.

      Delete
  14. Dancing Groot! I just saw Guardians so this made me so happy!
    I had pretty similar thoughts when I read this but I'm just happy that overall it's a really good ending that didn't disappoint me. I feel like(with the spoiler thing) she was kinda leaving it open for a fourth book? But I'm not sure I would even want another book about that because it's kinda...just weird.
    Great review! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I KNOW RIGHT!
      Yeah I was definitely happy overall that I got to read this amazing series, and if a spin off series does happen, then I'll read it too!

      Delete
  15. I'm glad to say that I have read Daughter of Smoke and Bone! I really liked it. :) I agree that Karou is awesome (I love her hair). The world was a really creative one. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series (hopefully that will be sooner than later). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I hope you end up finishing the series! :D

      Delete
  16. This is one my absolute, all-time favorite fantasy series! I just loved the world that Laini created and didn't want to leave it. The characters, the romances, the plot. Everything was just amazing, especially her writing. I was totally fine with the direction it went in, because it just fascinated me. Also, Karou's and Akiva's love story was one of my favorites. I wanted more of them in the conclusion,, though. There was just a lot to tell, and she probably could have even written more books. (I would have happily read them). But I thought this was such a great ending to the series. And I'm glad you loved it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I totally agree! The world she created was amazing! It was a really great ending that offered room for a spin-off series, which I hope she ends up writing, because I don't want to leave this world either!

      Delete
  17. Ah, I MUST start this series! I have the first two books just sitting here waiting for me. And she has blue hair? I have always wanted blue hair, but haven't the courage to do it. Time to start Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! You have finished it! *throws party poppers* Throwing a book literally on someone's face always works for me. I'm not as bad-mouthed as Melissa McCarthy in that movie but I can get pretty violent too. Haha. I'm so happy you loved this, Val. 600 pages was too much work for me as well, but it was worth it. I admit a lot of things happened in DoGM that shouldn't have worked if you're in the last book already, yet, it did. The writing was as beautiful as the first and the second book. I wish it had an epilogue, though. Because after all Karou and Akiva have gone through, I wish I could have seen more of them together in peaceful times with kids, if that's possible. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I FINISHED! And yes 600 pages was definitely worth it. if it was any shorter, I think I would've complained about how I wanted more. AND WOW I WANT AN EPILOGUE TOO!

      Delete
  19. Hey :) I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!

    http://randomofalife.blogspot.com/2014/08/i-have-been-given-awardthe-liebster.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't started this book yet, but I plan to in the near near near future since I love Karou and Akiva. I want to know what happens to everyone. I almost dyed my hair blue because of this series. Lovely review!

    ~ Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah dyeing your hair blue would've been awesome! And yessss you should go start this! It really was a great end :D

      Delete
  21. I did not read your review.

    HAHAHA. Because I haven't even started the series and I envy you for finishing it already! You know, I actually planned to Buddy read it with some blogger and I abandoned her. I feel so bad. But she isn't active anymore and now I'll never know if it's because she's mad at me and I still feel the guilt. Anyway, I hope she's okay. Someday I'll read this series and I'll dedicate my review to her.

    Thanks Val, now I feel emotional.

    LOL, anyway, looks like you loved it. I cannot wait to read this.. someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL IT'S OKAY!

      HAHAHAH you abandoned your buddy? THAT'S SO IRRESPONISBLE! Just kidding. This series is pretty long, so don't feel guilty. Of course, if it was me.....

      Lol I'm glad you feel emotional. You should go read the series now. Go dedicate your reviews to her. go goo gooooooooooo. OR DEDICATE THEM TO ME. THAT'S COOL TOO.

      Delete
  22. One of my favourite YA series! And I have very few favourite YA series. It seems like everyone was a bit daunted by the length; I'm no exception. I quite enjoyed the twists and turns in this one.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love receiving comments, checking out new blogs, and replying back, either here or on your own blog :3

This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.