Tuesday, October 24, 2017

No Review Required (Shannon's Bookshelf Edition)

My thoughts on the following books are from Shannon’s overflowing bookshelf! Every time I visit her (which turns out to be once a year or so), I pick out a couple books to read. During this visit, I read TWO books, though they were pretty short since I was only going to be there for a couple of days.


I LOVED THIS BOOK. Downright loved. I’m pretty sure I loved it enough to head over to TBD and order the UK copy of it (because it won’t release in the US until late 2018 or so).

What exactly did I love about it anyways? Well one, IT TAKES PLACE IN SPACE. Now you may be asking “Val, why should I read about some rando girl in space? Won’t it be super boring?” Well that’s where you’re wrong, because it is not. And I honestly won’t spoil any more than that, because I definitely recommend going in blind.


“On my very worst days, I think of nothing but how vulnerable I am out here. I’m balanced on the edge of oblivion with only a fragile skin of metal separating me from the void of space.”

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this, because it was absolutely not what I expected at all.


This book is absolutely gorgeous, including the beautiful illustrations inside. Also, I was afraid that I needed to complete the previous two series before reading this, but that didn’t end up being the case at all. In fact, it really just read like Russian fairytales.

“This goes to show you that sometimes the unseen is not to be feared and that those meant to love us most are not always ones who do.”

There are six short stories within, and they are all marvelously told. My favorites were Ayama and the Thorn Wood and also Little Knife, though I equally loved them all. And as each story progresses, more illustration and decoration is added to the page edges.

I haven’t decided if I want to buy this for myself, but I think I won’t be able to resist if I see it in the wild (and not on Shannon’s bookshelf)


Have you read either of these yet? Which Grishaverse series do you like more, Shadow and Bone or Six of Crows?
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.