Thursday, October 12, 2017

No Review Required (But Here Are Some Thoughts Anyways)

Hey everyone! So I've actually been reading a lot since the beginning of the academic year, surprisingly. And I've decided that even though these aren't anything I'm required to review, I'm still going to talk about them anyways. Because that's why I created this book blog in the first place, TO TALK ABOUT BOOKS. So I here are three mini reviews, with the images linked back to their respective Goodreads pages.


CAN WE TALK ABOUT GOOD OMENS? Why have I never read anything from Terry Pratchet until now? And I just loved that Neil Gaiman wrote this as well?

My best friend (shout out to Vanessa) rec’d me this book after having it pitched to her. And even though she didn’t even read it, she pitched it to me and I needed to IMMEDIATELY have it in my hands. Luckily I was able to get a hold of it at the library. I mean, who doesn’t want to read about the Anti-Christ and a regular normal boy getting switched at birth? And having all of hell freaking out about it? And an angel and a demon working together to prevent the apocalypse?


“He stared down at the golden curls of the Adversary, Destroyer of Kings, Angel of the Bottomless Pit, Great Beast that is called Dragon, Prince of This World, Father of Lies, Spawn of Satan, and Lord of Darkness.


"You know," he concluded, after a while, "I think he actually looks like an Adam.” 


Does the book live up to my expectations? Yes. Yes it does. It was also downright HILARIOUS. Though there were times I didn’t understand what was going on. Like I couldn’t for the life of me understand the switch of the babies. I had to read it at least three times because I just couldn’t believe that the nun was that absent-minded.

Either way. Amazing, hilarious novel. And I would definitely take the time to reread it. Maybe even buy my own copy.



Teeth was an interesting read, and I did end up liking it a lot! It just wasn’t the typical mermaid story. Instead, it featured a half boy half fish, who yes, I absolutely loved. And I just wanted to hug and squish him because he was at times, in a world of pain.


“It's not just like that. I can't just swim away."
"Why not?"
"I'm afraid I'll drown."
He looks up and gives the world's smallest smile. He takes a deep breath with those lungs. "I'm afraid I'll drown.”


Also, really loved that the main character, Rudy, was bisexual. At least he was to me.

But yeah, all I can say is that it was unlike anything I’ve read before, and a twist (a better twist imo) on the whole mermaid/siren theme.



Surprisingly, I expected Howl’s Moving Castle to differ way more than the movie, more so than I anticipated. But actually, the beginning of the novel and the beginning of the movie line up pretty well! Nevertheless, I did very much enjoy the book, and of course I watched the movie right after finishing.


“Yes, you are nosy. You're a dreadfully nosy, horribly bossy, appallingly clean old woman. Control yourself. You're victimizing us all.”


But because I did that, I now can’t really distinguish between the book and the movie. Good job Val. All I know is that I enjoyed reading this, and I’m glad I FINALLY got around to it as it had been on my TBR for years.

Oh, I did recognize that the movie used some characters from the book! Though it was only one of Sophie's relative though, and not both of them.


Have you read ANY of these books? Do you review or talk about any books besides ARCs?
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.