Thursday, July 10, 2014

Meeting Authors and Book Signings


Hi guys! *waves*

Before any of you assume, no this isn't about a book signing I went to, but more about what to expect IF I actually go to one. And the key word is "if" here. Actually, I think "when" is better haha.

So basically, here's the thing.

Yesterday, I could have gone to see Veronica Roth in Boston and also buy Four, her newest release that is Divergent told in a different point of view, or so I heard. Now, I didn't go for many reasons, one obvious one being that I haven't even read Divergent yet. But this still got me thinking about other signings that I could potentially go to, in my lifetime. Or afterlife, because you don't know these things.

And you know what. I know nothing about these things. Sure, I've heard about the experience in the Philippines from Francine @ The Not-So-Literary Heiresses about Stephanie Perkins, and then there was that one TFIOS early screening event in Florida that went completely out of control and ended up not happening (which isn't a book signing I know). But it's just so, intimidating!

So I was just wondering, how are book signings in the US? Is it just as crowded? Even if it's in a bookstore? Do you actually have to arrive 5+ hours early? Where do I go about finding these things? DO YOU GUYS GO ALONE? What happens if I have no friends? Haha just kidding.

But seriously. I'm just asking this question for myself (so I guess this isn't exactly a discussion), and I would love to know about your experiences with authors! 

13 comments:

  1. I've only been to signings at Comic Con which I think is quite a bit different from most signings but I am planning on going to one at a local bookstore in a couple weeks and I am quite nervous because I don't know quite how it works! I did find this post from Maggie Stiefvater, the signing I'm going to, about what it's like at one of her events, I think it's pretty helpful. http://maggiestiefvater.com/blog/a-shy-introverts-guide-to-stiefvater-signings/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay that's awesome! And thanks for the website! I'll definitely check it out! I'll be looking forward to your post about your signing!

      Delete
  2. OMG! I am so upset, I was IN BOSTON on Wednesday! How did you find out about this?

    I'm also curious about what to expect and how to find out about these events. I'd really like to go to some. I will be looking forward to reading the advice your readers give :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T KNOW! I was just looking through twitter and I follow Veronica Roth and she mentioned it, and I was like wut.

      But yeah, I also really want to go to one as well.

      Delete
  3. Obviously, I don't know anything about US book signings (libves in PH), but just like you, I haven't been in a book signing. I've already mised a lot here, and I can say that once I go to for the first time, I'll probably be damn anxious and jumpy and...ignorant. Sigh. I think it's smart to arrive early, I bet there's a line or registration something..so better be early? I hope some bloggers will help you on this, Val! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. emergerd the typos killed me, I am sorry for those! AHA

      Delete
    2. YAY TYPOS! Don't worry I don't notice these things.

      Yeah I think the best thing is to arrive early and try to get a seat, or a number or whatever. I think I'm just going to have to wing it when the time comes!

      Delete
  4. I haven't been to any book signings so I'm sorry to say that I'm not much of a help here. Not many U.S. authors that I read come here (Ontario, Canada) which sucks.
    & You should definitely get on reading Divergent, its a great book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I'll try to read Divergent in the next year or so. And surprisingly, not many authors come to Boston either, EVEN THOUGH IT'S LIKE THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD! Just kidding. (cough no I'm not)

      Delete
  5. From what I've seen in other bloggers' posts, most of the book signings there are pretty well-controlled. It's not like here in the Philippines where everyone gets all crazy and fangirl-y, which is understandable given how we may only see the authors once in our lives :)) I think you won't have any problems at all~


    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Well it's just that all I see is AUTHORS GOING TO THE PHILIPPINES! Or the UK, which is still really awesome! Haha! I'm hoping I don't have any problems. Right now, I just have to find the dates authors will actually be visiting. :P

      Delete
  6. I can't speak for the US, but I've had good experiences with signings in the UK :) All authors have been wonderful and happy to chat, I even got to chat to Sarah J. Maas about film soundtracks! I told her that her writing playlist is basically the same as my reading playlist, haha :P Plus it's always fun to chat to people in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definitely depends on the author and hype surrounding them. I've been to two book signings and they were both such great experiences. I saw Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, and it was quite a big event. She came to one of our local performing arts centers and it was packed. It was wonderful to hear her talk about her writing and inspirations, plus it was fun to listen to her read a few chapters of her latest book.

    I also drug Anne along to see Kiera Cass. She came to Barnes & Noble (in the fancy part of town), but she was part of a tour with some other authors. I think we went an hour early, and while there were still a lot of people it wasn't uncomfortable. The audience had the chance to ask questions, and it was great to learn about new authors.

    I think if you have the opportunity, you should totally do it. Hey, you might even get some special perks since you're a blogger now! You might be considered press for some events.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love receiving comments, checking out new blogs, and replying back, either here or on your own blog :3

This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.