Thursday, May 8, 2014

Review: Lirael

Lirael by Garth Nix
Abhorsen #2
Publisher: HarperCollins
Released: April 5th 2004
Date Read: 5/4/2014 to 5/8/2014
527 Pages
Rating:   


When the future is hidden, who holds the key to destiny?

Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. She doesn't even have the Sight - the ability to See into the present and possible futures - that is the very birthright of the Clayr. Nonetheless it is Lirael in whose hands the fate of the Old Kingdom lies, while Abhorsen Sabriel is engaged in conflict elsewhere.

As an ancient evil casts its shadow - one that opposes the Royal Family, blocks the Sight of the Clayr, and threatens to break the very boundary between the Life and Death - Lirael undertakes a desperate mission.

With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, to help her, Lirael sets out upon a perilous journey and comes face to face with her own fate...

   
Ok, so I was looking through Amazon, and I saw that Garth Nix is coming up with a new book in this series, called Clariel! I'm not sure why all the characters, Sabriel, Lirael, and now Clariel have pretty much the same ending, BUT WHATEVER. Guess who will be pre-ordering that in October? Me!

But yes, I have finally finished Lirael, which I immensely enjoyed. I did not have any specific expectations going into the sequel, except that I thought the time gap would be smaller. Also, the cover to Lirael looks amazing! I'm a little upset I have it on the kindle rather than in paperback.

So you know how I said I loved Sabriel? Well I love Lirael even more! (You can see my review for the first book here) She does remind me of Sabriel a little, except more shy, reclusive, and just more smart. However, in the beginning of the book she does suffer depression, because she still hadn't received the Sight. The Sight is basically being able to see into the possible future, and being a Daughter of the Clayr at 14 years old without the Sight, Lirael feels like she doesn't belong. 

On the other hand, there's the Disreputable Dog. I have no idea how she got that name, but everytime I think of her I think of a mix between Dug from the movie Up! and the mother wolf from Princess Mononoke



I kid you not. The Disreputable Dog loves Lirael, and is really her only family. She loves being scratched under the ears, and loves to eat food even when she doesn't have to. One minute, she'll act super chirpy and cute, and then the other, she's an all-knowing being and doesn't hesitate to go in for the kill.  

And then there's Prince Sameth, the son of the Abhorsen Sabriel and Touchstone (the two main characters from the first book). He's the Abhorsen-in-Waiting, and doesn't want to be. Basically, what the Abhorsen does, it send the dead (think zombies) back to the dead using her bells and necromancer skills. So basically an Abhorsen is a legit necromancer. Usually being a necromancer is looked down upon, but since she's official, it's OKAY. It's kind of like the Avatar! But not really!


Well, ok besides the point. I absolutely loved the plot! The truth is that the climax doesn't exactly happen in this book, but in the next one in the series. I feel so bad for the readers waiting for another book to come out two years for it to come out. There were mini climaxes here and there, and decent amount of action, so it wasn't boring! 

Also, I'm really glad that Dog became part of Lirael's library adventures. Because honestly, the dialogue added so much more to the story! There's a point when only reading narrative gets boring, and Garth Nix picked the perfect time to introduce a fuzzy new character. The same thing happened with Sameth when Mogget the cat (I'm so glad he has a reappearance in this book) appeared. I've read a bunch of books that are just narrative or thoughts of the MC, and it just didn't appeal to me. 

Also, you don't have to read Sabriel to enjoy Lirael! It explains everything just as clearly, like the Charter magic and the Clayr and also Death. At least I think so. It might be preferable to read Sabriel first though so that you can fully enjoy Mogget's presence. He's a sarcastic fluffball.

Also, don't let the prologue confuse you! 

All I can say now, is that I am so lucky to have the next book, Abhorsen, ready. This series has gotten better and better, and I cannot wait to find out what happens next. If you loved the Alanna series, anything by Tamora Pierce, or fantasy in general, you will love this series! I guarantee it!

4 comments:

  1. I've heard of Garth Nix before, but I've never gotten the chance to read these babies. I'm definitely interested in it now. Lirael and Sabriel sound like pretty cool heroines - I love them smart ones, those who can take care of themselves, and especially those who are helped by dogs ;) Also, sounds like the dialogue is something to look forward to. Even in other books I look forward to reading the dialogue the most. I want to see how characters interact with each other, and in what other way can that be seen but through their banters? ;) Thanks for the review, hon! :)

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I'm not sure if I'm not looking hard enough, but I feel like his books are pretty underrated. Sure they aren't the best, but someone who likes fantasy would definitely enjoy it! Someone recommended me this series and I was hooked!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this author before, I'll have to look into him more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Now that I think about it, his first book, Sabriel, was published in 1996...I think, or some time in the 90s, and then Lirael was published in 2004. So it's almost a 10 year difference!

      Delete

I absolutely love receiving comments, checking out new blogs, and replying back, either here or on your own blog :3

This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.