Monday, April 28, 2014

Review: Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
The Infernal Devices #1
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Released: August 31st, 2010
In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them....
Taken from Goodreads

Start: 4/24/2014 | End: 4/26/2014 | Pages: 479 | Rating: 4 Stars 

My Thoughts:


I randomly decided to read this on a whim, it was on my kindle and I was just like "oh why not?" So yes, I read an almost 500 page book in 2 days. It was really really good! Was it just a coincidence that I picked up the prequel to the Mortal Instruments? I had absolutely no idea that this was in the same universe!

But yes yes, I did like it a lot! My initial impressions of this series, or really The Mortal Instruments series since that's the one I've been the most familiar with, were of doubt. I kept on seeing the book everywhere in my younger years, and I kept on thinking how overrated it is. But obviously I was just being silly. I know both The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments aren't the same, but I loved the setting, and because of this prequel, I'm definitely adding the other series on my TBR list. And the next book.



Ok enough rambling. Where do I start? Clockwork Angel starts off with Tessa, a young book-loving girl moving from New York City to London to meet up with her brother. Her aunt recently died, so with no where to go, her brother offers to house her in England. But right when she arrives, things go horribly wrong. She's pretty much kidnapped by these people calling themselves the Dark Sister, and forced to transform into different people, an ability she had no idea she had. So now, she's completely confused and terrified about what's going to happen to her and her captured brother.


Luckily, Will Herondale comes to the rescue! *cue sighs and fangirling*


Rescuing Tessa from the Dark Sisters, he offers her refuge at the institute. There she learns more about the Shadowhunters, downworlders, warlocks, vampires, everything except what or who she is. And then there's this huge plot to get rid of the Shadowhunters, and everything just doesn't go smoothly, as usual. 


I just want to get this out, but I absolutely hated Jessamine. 

I know she wanted to have a normal life and not be a Shadowhunter, but really? I hate how she constantly talks about marrying a "strong" man and then having to listen and obey to them. And I don't like how she pretends to be friends with Tessa, when truthfully she just wants Tessa to pretend to be her sister, so that she can get a husband more easily. Like wut. I want to hit you. (I'm not saying she's not a well-developed character, she is, I just didn't like her haha)



But I loved all the other characters! Like Will, haha so dreamy but yet so mysterious! I can't wait to find out what he's hiding in the next book. And also I loved Tessa, she's definitely someone I could relate to. I also liked how she accepted pretty much everything that came to her. She knew that she couldn't go back to her old life.

(I'm not sure if I like Will and Tessa together, or Tessa and Jem together. I NEED TO READ THE NEXT BOOK TO FIND OUT MORE. Though I'm kind of leaning towards a Will and Tessa ship)

I also loved how this is a mix of fantasy and kind of steampunk! I've been wanting to read more steampunk related books (any recs?) 

There's also a good deal of action here, plus plot twists! The writing flowed very well and I don't remember any dry, slow parts in the book (yay!). Overall I very much liked this book. I think throughout my reading of the series, I'll definitely become more attached to the characters (one book is not enough). But for me, there weren't any major disappointments.


 

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read this!! Mostly because I have never read ANY Cassandra Clare and I feel that's kind of weird of me... o.O Although, I'm disappointed already because I read a review a while back and they just happened to forget to mention the entire review was full of SPOILERS. So I know a lot of the major plot twists and gah...I'm so frustrated. >.< Still. I'll pick it up eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO SORRY YOU GOT SPOILED! There are a lot of great plot twists in the book! And that just sucks that you already know most of them already!

      Maybe you'll forget that you know the spoils. You could pick it up when you're 90? jk.

      Delete
  2. I heard this book was really nice! I read City of Bones, but I haven't read any of the books after it. Really glad you enjoyed reading it! :) I'll give it a try next time if I have the time!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian! I've never read the City of Bones, but I'll probably pick it up one day!

      Delete

I absolutely love receiving comments, checking out new blogs, and replying back, either here or on your own blog :3

This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.