Monday, April 7, 2014

Book Discussion: When Updating Becomes Frustrating


Hey guys! Every day, I try to come up with new ideas or features to post about, especially since I don't read as fast as some other bloggers do. And sometimes, it's just REALLY frustrating, because I can't find the time to write up posts. 

Until now! That's why I'm adding this new book discussion feature! I've seen other bloggers discuss book issues as well, and it just seems like a lot of fun, or frustrating. But whatever.


Updating, and why it's a pain in the butt sometimes


I absolutely love having a book blog. It's only been a couple of months, and I'm incredibly impressed with how far this has come along. However, every once in a while, I find myself stuck. Either I don't want to read, or I don't want to write about it. I procrastinate! 



For me, writing has been the hardest to grasp. I have a ton of trouble putting words together. WHY DO I HAVE THIS TROUBLE.

Over the past few reviews, I've been slowly changing my style to be fun and all gif-ed up, but still also a little formal. But I still stumble over my words a lot. And it's absolutely driving me crazy. Especially STARTING posts. Raise your hand if you have trouble figuring out how to start a post. *raises hand*

Sometimes I even look at other blogger reviews to get the gist of how I'm supposed to be writing the beginning. I also do this for book blog layouts that I admire. 

This week, I'm trying to schedule a post for every day of the week, which is going to be especially hard, even though I have a decent amount of free time. Well, maybe not every day, but I don't know. It just feels so satisfying to constantly see new posts on my blog (I often refresh my blog to look at it because I'm a perfectionist). 

So I was just wondering, does anyone have just as much trouble as me when it comes to scheduling posts and updating? I'm trying to schedule more posts up, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it up.

8 comments:

  1. I never schedule posts. I don't think that is fun. I read when I read... and if a discussion posts comes to mind then I'll post it. I just do what I want. I have noticed bloggers who try to post everyday .. or read so many books a month get burned out and then quit blogging. So I say do what you feel and you will have more fun that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Angela! I've been reviewing a book a week, and I think that's a good pace with me. I think I just get overwhelmed with other blogs posting, like everyday. I already spend a lot of time on my blog and other blogs and I don't even post that much! haha. But I definitely probably won't be scheduling posts weeks in advance, unless I'm on a trip.

      Delete
  2. You don't have to be pressured to update everyday, dear! That would take the fun out of blogging ;) I used to want to do that in order to give fresh content every day, but I found it exhausting, and it made me even more hesitant to blog. Plus, that would give your readers time to check out previous posts as not everyone checks blogs everyday (like me ;P) Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you want to do :) You can post every day if you want! But just know the blogging community will still love you either way >:D<

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I totally agree! I think during the summer, I'm going to try to rope in my best friend to co-blog or guest-blog with me. And I definitely agree with you on how scheduling posts is exhausting, so I'll probably just blog on the whim. Anyways I need that time to comment and lurk on other blogs haha.

      I will make the blogging community love me no matter what muhahahahahah :3

      Delete
  3. Hey there, I am a new book blogger too, I don't find any part of it frustrating (yet). Thats a lie, formating posts drives me nuts, especially posts with pictures, where you have to move something then hit preview for like a million times before the post looks how you want it UGH.

    I like to schedule, I have posts for the rest of April scheduled - not written but scheduled. They're mostly memes and reviews, I haven't come up with any ideas for original discussion posts yet and those, when they happen, will most likely be published on the fly.

    *Raises hand* yes, I really struggle with starting my reviews too and even while I am writing them I spend a lot of time staring into space trying to remember what I thought about this or that aspect of the book. So I have taken the advice of some seasoned book bloggers and now keep a notebook and sticky tabs near by while I read, hopefully that will make writing reviews easier.

    Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FORMATING IS THE WORST! I hate when your images aren't spaced out properly, or when I have to go get the book cover from Goodreads. It's just SO TIME CONSUMING. I've been doing this for 4 months now WITH college and I'm surprised I'm not so frustrated to the point where I want to quit.

      I have no idea how you schedule your posts. That's awesome I'm envious. And YES I ALSO stare into space trying to think about it. I know once I finish the book I rate it overall, but then I have to think back to what exactly made me rate that book so and so stars? It's really hard to think of reasons sometimes! Especially with those 3 star ratings.

      I need to get a blogging notebook asap, but I don't get off school until the summer. Maybe I'll check the school store.

      Delete
    2. When I started blogging I had no idea how much work or time would be involved. So yeah, trying to stay sane while doing schoolwork and blogging is a task in itself ;-)

      I haven't written that many reviews so far and I have been lucky that I have really liked the ones I have reviewed (except for the one DNF review). I can imagine writing reviews for those three star books can
      be quite tricky and I have that to look forward too.

      As for the blogging notebook, I have since found that I get so into the book I am reading that I forget all about taking notes. I need to be more disciplined in that area because I do need to get more reviews up, I don't want my blog to be nothing but meme posts.

      Delete
  4. I love this post! I have been having the same problem, I have tons of books I need to write a review for but I just don't know where to start. I too look at other blogs to see how they write their reviews. I am trying to do the same as you trying to schedule posts for the entire week, but I have been having lots of trouble with that! Good to know I am not the only one struggling with this.

    Good luck to you!

    Irene @ Ice Queen's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love receiving comments, checking out new blogs, and replying back, either here or on your own blog :3

This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.