Wednesday, March 7, 2018

No Review Required (Mermurder & Other Horribleness)


I have read a bunch of books this year, and I have been meaning to write a "No Review Required" post for a while now. But that just didn't end up happening, and before I knew it, there were many potential books I could post about. So, I decided to just narrow it down to the ones I actually can talk about (kinda).


I JUST found out that Mira Grant is Seanan McGuire. Like wow! I had no idea! But anyways, LET'S TALK ABOUT MERMURDER. I picked up Into the Drowning Deep as a Kindle Deal, and boy am I glad I did. I love the premise of ocean exploration, and so when you throw in deadly, killer mermaids into the mix, it becomes a hell of a ride.

"Did you really think we were the apex predators of the world?"

I never really thought I was the type of person who liked horror stories, but Into the Drowning Deep changed my mind. Someone please give me all the killer mermaid stories, thank you.


No Good Deed is by the same author who wrote Kill the Boy Band, which was one of my favorites two years ago. And if I'm going to be honest, this didn't necessarily exceed my expectations, BUT it was still a hilarious, satirical story that appeased by true, horrible self. Because what could possibly go wrong at a camp for activists?


"Gregor, what happened to I Like Paint's mural was sad, but have you considered the idea that maybe the attack was a protest? Maybe somebody didn't like ILP's message."


"His mural was about unity."

 
"And there are a lot of loners at this camp," Jimmy said. "Think about how triggering that mural could've been for them."


This book was fun, and definitely for horrible people like me. But surprisingly there was a really uplifting message at the end of it, so there's hope for me yet!


I recently acquired the paperback of The Bone Gap, but it's been on my TBR ever since I first started blogging. And when I finally read it, it was completely different from what I expected. I don't even know WHAT I read, except for the fact that the main character has prosopagnosia (no memory of faces). And I guess there was a kidnapping of some sorts, by this magical, omniscient being?

"Because we don't have your typical gaps around here. Not gaps made of rocks or mountains. We have gaps in the world. In the space of things. So many places to lose yourself, if you believe that they're there. You can slip into the gap and never find your way out. Or maybe you don't want to find your way out."

Either way, this was definitely an interesting read, and I can finally cross it off my TBR!

Have you read any of these? Or are they on your TBR?
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.