Tuesday, February 27, 2018

How To Deal With The Pressures Of Social Media


One of the reasons why I'm such a huge procrastinator stems from the fact that I am constantly on social media. Specifically, Twitter. It's gotten to the point where I continue to refresh my feed even after only a couple of minutes, knowing that there will be NOTHING new.

This seems to be a problem for a bunch of people as well, so I've decided to share some tips that I use when I want to remain focused on reading or writing, or just dealing with social media in general. (Thanks to Shannon for contributing some of these!)


1. Put the laptop or phone aside and out of reach!
Leave it alone! You're not allowed to touch it!


2. Pick up the book and just read without hesitation
THIS tip is the one that works for me the best. I have a huge problem of not being able to start things, because of my procrastination problem. But once I start doing something, like reading or writing, everything is ok. But getting myself to start reading is the bigger issue.


3. Log out of Twitter!
And also, mute notifications too! I actually rarely do this (I think I did ONCE, but I don't remember why I did? Probably because my friends were being soooooo annoying hahahah)


4. Even better, delete your apps
This way there REALLY isn't any temptation to scroll through anything.


5. Get rid of your Facebook account or your Instagram
Especially if it is pressuring. I feel like there is a lot of pressure to have ALL the social media accounts, and sometimes it's just better to pull back and focus on one or two? Like right now I'm really only on Twitter and Instagram.


6. Don't feel pressured to post or keep up with all the things
To follow up with the previous point, it's definitely okay to take breaks! I think one of the most annoying new updates about Instagram is the algorithm, but don't let that get you down. YOU come first. If you're not feeling like posting, then don't!


7. Try not to compare yourself to others
Sometimes I get a bit envious about how eloquent a tweet is, or how beautiful a photo is. And then I'm like, "Val why can't I be like them?" Well I guarantee that someone is thinking the same about your content.


8. Don't focus on your follower count
Especially with all the twitter bots being removed. I catch myself worrying about how many followers I have, but honestly it doesn't and shouldn't matter. As long as I have my friends, I'm fine!


9. Take breaks
Did I mention this already? No? Well yeah taking hiatuses sometimes from Twitter or Instagram is actually super refreshing. Especially considering the fact that Twitter is filled with a lot of bad/sad news these days.


10. Be undeniably you. Always.


How do you deal with multiple platforms? Do you focus on only one, or try to divide time between them all?
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.