Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #1


Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish


Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want To Live In


So I've never done a Top Ten before, but it seems like a really awesome idea, especially since I love lists. Anyways, this week's theme is world's I would never want to live in. I'm not sure if it's only for books, but that's what I will be focusing on. 

And with that, here are my picks!

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This is a no brainer. The concept of the world is cool, but I would never, ever be able to survive in such a world. In this world, you're either picked for the Hunger Games, or left to wither away in a district. I might be able to survive in a district that's well off, but just the reminder of the games would put my off edge. 

2. Sabriel by Garth Nix. I'm currently reading the first book in this series, and although it seems innocent enough, I'm not too fond of the idea that the dead can come back and basically possess people. 

3. Machine of Death by Ryan North. I don't know about you, but living in a world where you know how you die is very nerve-racking. Due to this anthology of short stories revolving around this topic, I will never, ever go out of my way to figure out how I will die.

4. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I would hate to live in a world where everything is genetically engineered, where natural breeding is socially unacceptable, and babies are sorted between being alphas or betas. 

5. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. I hate the process of having to go through surgery to dumb yourself down and become "pretty". And then this means that no one can go against the government, or whoever is in control, because they don't have the means too. Nope, I would never want to live there.

6. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. I'm referring specifically to the fantasy world that David enters (for those who read this book). Being the hard core disney fan that I am, I would NOT enjoy living amongst the people of this scary, twisted world.

7. Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Love is illegal in this world, and that's a big no no for me.


Characters I Would Never Trade Places With


1. Valerie in Hate List by Jennifer Brown. She may have the same name as me, but having a boyfriend that shoots up the school is not something I would want to deal with. 

2. Alice in Still Alice by Lisa Genova. In this book, we go through the life of Alice, who recently found out she is suffering from Alzheimer's. It was really heartbreaking to see her fall apart, which is why one of my main fears involves losing my memories.

3. Liesel in The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. The trauma of the holocaust and losing the people you love is not something I would want to experience.

What about you? Share your thoughts below :)


3 comments:

  1. I haven't got around to read the books in your list other than The Hunger Games. They sound like something I'd enjoy reading but I wouldn't want to live in any of them. Panem is pretty much a wreck. I'd stay clear from the world of Machine of Death, I mean knowing how I'll die? No, thanks, I'll leave that to God. *jots the title of the books down my never-ending TBR list* Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I kind of had a hard time with this theme (even though it's a super awesome topic), because I simply haven't read enough books that have worlds I would hate to live in. Like most of these books I wouldn't *mind* living there, I just don't want to because there are better places to live in, like Hogwarts.

      Also Divergent would probably be on this list, if I actually read the book.

      And yes the Machine of Death Anthology is incredible. I also read the sequel to is (meaning more short stories), and every single story is so memorable and amazing.

      Delete
    2. Hogwarts! I always dream of getting the admission letter to Hogwarts although I'm wayyy past the high school age, haha. I wouldn't want Harry or Ron or Hermione's life, though. I just want to be like one of the extra kids in the school, like those who are from normal, plain wizarding families xD

      Delete

I absolutely love receiving comments, checking out new blogs, and replying back, either here or on your own blog :3

This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.