Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday #102

Hosted by the Broke and the Bookish!

Top Ten Graphic Novels!

I was so tempted to put every single Ms. Marvel comic on here, because of what happened last weekend. I won't since I have a lot to recommend (and also want to read), but just know that I am very much emphasizing Ms. Marvel. It's a great comic and it has great representation.


Like I said, Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal is a GREAT place to start if you're new to comics. Also it features Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel, and she is amazing. And a teenager. And a Muslim.
Saga is one that I recommend again and again and again. It's also a great place to start if you're new to comics AND graphic novels in general. The thing that makes me hesitate about superhero comics is that it's hard to find a place to start, and there's so much background on a certain character, that it's tough to know what "series" to read. With Saga, you don't need to know anything at all. Just pick up the first volume, and before you know it, you'll be on the fifth.

I raved about this earlier, but YES to American Born Chinese. Totally resonated with me (10 years later). It also is #ownvoices, and brings in the story of the Monkey King.

I recently read This One Summer, and loved the simplicity, yet hard hitting messages it conveyed. If you find this in your library, check it out ASAP.

I read Maus years ago for my English class. It was a great pick for 10th grade. Even though I don't remember much about it, I remember 1) loving it and 2) being more aware about what happened during WWII. If you love reading about WWII as much as I do, pick this up! 

After reading Ms. Marvel, I also picked up Captain Marvel (Marvel Now) #1, and loved that as well. Though I was more confused with this one, as I didn't know the history of Captain Marvel. However I still enjoyed the story and the series! 

I read The Graveyard Book and loved it, which is why I picked up the graphic novel version of it. And I was impressed! Rather than having only one artist, each chapter was drawn in a different style by different authors. I started to appreciate the diversity of the art after a couple of chapters (because to be honest I wasn't sure how I felt about it at the beginning).

Batgirl, Volume 1, in which never have I been more happier to see Batgirl back in action! I only was able to read the first volume, but I have yet to check the local library for the rest of the series.

Then there is Everything Is Teeth, which is about SHARKS. I can't say much else except that haha.

Lastly, there is White Sand, which is by Brandon Sanderson. I will never NOT recommend Brandon Sanderson, so of course he makes it onto this list!


Have you read any of these? I'm constantly on the lookout for more graphic novels at the library, so feel free to recommend me some!
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.