Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Mass Effect Trilogy


Hey there beautiful people! I know what you're all thinking! "Ugh Val is going to talk about video games AGAIN". And guess what, you're right! Hahah. 

Oh but wait! There's a banner! What is the meaning of this! Why is Val turning a perfectly good word into an abbreviation? (Because I can that's why). OK HERE'S THE BIG REVEAL. I've decided to start MY OWN, NEW FEATURE. Basically, I'll be "flailing" about a new interest, video game, show, or anything not related to books. This is just a way of showing you what else I do in life, because I don't ONLY read books! Hence the little subtitle. Also I'm not sure how original this is, because I haven't googled it yet. I'm sure I'm in the clear.


Today, I will talking about this video game trilogy that I spent about three years of my life on, only to have the ending of it blow up in my face. Imagine your favorite book trilogy having a horrible, but necessary ending. Yes, this is how I feel right now.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO PLAY THIS GAME, STOP HERE

There aren't any spoilers, but I don't want to disappoint anything!

Premise: The main character, Commander Shepard, discovers that these giant artificial intelligence ships are going to destroy all organic life as they deem fit. Of course, no one believes her (I choose to play as female), yet she still gains the trust and loyalty of a number of crew members, who all grow to respect her. And of course, no one heeds her warning, so EARTH AND THE REST OF THE GALAXY IS DOOMED.

Why I Love It: It takes place in freaking SPACE. And you get to travel to different planets, shoot aliens and humans alike, and meet AMAZING CHARACTERS with so much depth. I love them all. My favorite, of course, was Garrus. (ShepardxGarrus ftw)



Why It Destroyed My Heart: If anyone has finished the trilogy, they know how I feel. The thing that makes it THE WORSE, is that I spent so much time leveling up my characters, strengthening relations, collecting items around the galaxy, and it was all for nothing. No matter which ending I picked, it was the same (trust me, I checked on Youtube). And of course, I did not have the extended ending cut, so OF COURSE I would be pissed for like only 2 minutes of epilogue.


Do I Still Recommend It: Of course I do. THIS IS MY TRILOGY for crying out loud. I am just in SERIOUS denial that the ending ever happened, and I'm going to pretend everything is okay, and now I think I will just search for fanfic because I AM NOT OKAY.


Thanks for sticking til the end of the post! Don't worry! Next time I plan to talk about a TV show, so it's not going to be limited to only video games hahah!
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.