Wednesday, June 10, 2015

DNF Review: The Witch Hunter

The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Release Date: June 2nd, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Date Read: DNF
368 pages
Rating: --


Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.

Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

Sigh. So apparently this is another one of those books that you either loathe entirely, or absolutely love. Sadly, I'm in the former group.

There are a lot of things that stopped me from continuing, the first being my expectations haha. No but seriously, here's the rundown.

The main character is, contradicting. In other words she doesn't live up to her description. In the beginning, she's described as the best witch hunter, yet the number of mistakes she makes is larger than I would have expected. Wouldn't an experienced hunter not have many of these problems? Also, how did she get so good in the first place? I know she was trained, but I'm just not convinced.


Everything happens in the first 15%. Let me tell you what happened in the first...what, 10 minutes of reading the novel (Ok maybe not 10 minutes but same thing). The MC, Elizabeth, kills a necromancer by accident, drowns her sorrows in ale and absinthe, gets questioned by two random, sketchy guys looking for someone (*cough* her *cough*), has witches herbs in her pocket which causes the Inquistor, her employer for YEARS, to accuse her of being a witch without a doubt...even though she's a witch hunter. Oh, and this happens because she assumes the King wants to sleep with her.


There are way too many generic characters, and I can't keep track of them all. And I also don't care about them. There's a lot of guy characters, and from what I've heard (not that I read this far), most of them are attracted to Elizabeth. Or at least like her a lot. So yeah, I'm just going to avoid all that. Nope.

I really wanted to LOVE The Witch Hunter, because I've seen SO MANY awesome reviews for it! But I don't know, I just ended up not liking the way it was going. It was way too unbelievable (Elizabeth gains MORE wanted status than the Most Wanted Man in the land. By having witch herbs. And escaping. I think that's A LITTLE too much there).


To be honest, I think I'm just going to leave the reading of this to someone else, and spoil myself later. BECAUSE THIS IS A RANT DNF REVIEW, please take my review as a grain of salt. Because I know this is a well loved book and plus I didn't even finish this. I'm a little black sheep here :)
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.