Thursday, March 19, 2015

What Draws You Into A Book?


Hello my fellow readers and bloggers! Are you ready to do my linguistics homework for me? (Just kidding)

No but actually, the reason I bring up this topic is because I have a syntax paper coming up, and right now I'm brainstorming on a topic. I've played around with the idea of writing in fiction, or more specifically, what kinds of writing draws you into a story, and how is that different from something you didn't like/care about? Does the structure of the sentences have anything to do with it, or does it depend more on relatability, characters, etc. 


Basically, since this is for my linguistics/syntax class, I want to research what kinds of sentences appeal more to readers. And this can most definitely be seen in literature, where there are sentences that you would just NEVER say in speech. 

For example, taken from Grasshopper Jungle:

Robby and I were the gods of concrete rivers, and history does prove to us that wherever boys ride bicycles, paved roadways ribbon along afterward like intestinal tapeworms.

I don't know why this sentence stood out for me today, maybe it was the use of the word "ribbon". But for some reason, it did stand out, and I wonder why.

Hence, due to said final paper, I've decided to conduct a survey about what draws you into a book. Since this is a discussion, I'm not limiting you to just writing style, it can be anything from plot to characters. You're not obligated to help me out, you can just leave me a comment, BUT YOU SHOULD HELP ME OUT BECAUSE YOU LOVE ME. Plus it's an interesting question: Does sentence structure play a role in literature?

I HAVE A SURVEY FOR YOU. It's pretty short, but I guess it kind of involves some thinking, and your favorite quote! IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF YOU COMPLETED IT. Ya know, for me ;)



Of course, feel free to still comment below if you want! This is still an interesting discussion, besides being my paper topic haha.
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.