Monday, December 15, 2014

Review: Mistborn

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
Mistborn #1
Publisher: Tor Books
Release Date: July 25th, 2006
Source: Library
Date Read: 11/28/14 to 11/30/14
537 Pages
Rating: 


Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangled the land.

He failed.

For a thousand years since, the world has been a wasteland of ash and mist ruled by the immortal emperor known as the Lord Ruler. Every revolt has failed miserably.

Yet somehow, hope survives. Hope that dares to dream of ending the empire and even the Lord Ruler himself. A new kind of uprising is being planned, one built around the ultimate caper, one that depends on the cunning of a brilliant criminal mastermind and the determination of an unlikely heroine, a street urchin who must learn to master Allomancy, the power of a Mistborn.

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository


I may, or may not have a problem. 

I cannot stop reading Sanderson novels

You see, every time I read a Sanderson book, it becomes my new Sanderson favorite. That's why, I have decided that from now on, I will pick no favorites. No, instead they will all be my favorites. 

So, let's talk about Mistborn, the most action-packed fantasy you will ever read. 

Mistborn introduces another well developed fantasy world, but this time, it's all about burning metals to achieve amazing powers. There's a whole list of metals, well ten of them, and consuming them (or drinking them) grants the person a specific power. Though this only works if the person has the ability to burn the metal in the first place, also referred to as a Misting. A Misting can burn only one specific metal in order to gain that metal's ability.


HERE'S AN EXAMPLE FOR YOU CONFUSED PEOPLE.

Burning the metal Pewter inside of your body (don't worry guys it's magic stuff like this is possible) will allow a Misting to gain super human strength. These kinds of Mistings are known as Pewterarms or Thugs!

Okay enough about the details Val, we don't want to hear about them. TELL US WHAT YOU LIKED ABOUT THE BOOK!

Well excuse you too!

Anyways, do you know which character I loved? Kelsier. Can I just give you a few facts about him? Because he is awesome
  • He's a Mistborn, meaning he can burn ALL the metals.
  • He's leading a skaa (similar to slaves) rebellion against the dictator, the Lord Ruler who pretty much controls them all.
  • He has an amazing thieving group which consists of a number of amazing people, each a Misting that directly contributes to the rebellion.
And then there is our main main character, Vin, who I LOVE by the way because she grew from a shy and timid street urchin to a determined, and maybe a little reckless, experienced Mistborn. Honestly I wasn't really attached to her in the beginning, but now I respect her and her decisions more. 

So how is this different from the other Sanderson books I've read?

Honestly, there's more FEELS, because something HUGE happens in the book that I was not okay with. And because I was more attached to the characters compared to the other Sanderson novels, I really felt emotionally torn. First off, I wasn't expecting it because I grew to love that specific character, and now, now it just KILLS ME. 

WHY DO AUTHORS DO SUCH THINGS? gah.


I would like to end my review (ha this basically turned out to be a conversation with myself) with me BEGGING you guys to read Sanderson. Seriously, it will be THE LAST THING I DO before I dieeee.  

This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.