Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday #83

Hosted by the Broke and the Bookish!

Top Ten Historical And Futuristic Settings I'd Love To See


I think this is one of the hardest topics that I have ever had to do, only because it requires a ton of creativity. Most of the things I would love to see in books are due to general interests, and also video games. So it's not really anything specific. But let's see what I can come up with, right?

Ancient Egypt - Just, anything set in Ancient Egypt. Especially if it involves a lot of mythology and the culture. In Middle Grade, I read Mara, Daughter of the Nile (how I remembered the title, I don't know), and I absolutely adored it.

Spaaaaaaace - I have NO IDEA what exactly this setting would be. Maybe, spaceships? Aliens? Uh, inhabited colony planets? Basically a book exactly like Mass Effect? Yes?


Ancient Greece - The same reasoning as my interest in Ancient Egypt, basically! I know one book I really need to get to that fits this setting is The Song of Achilles, which I will read, someday soon. But yes, I also need my Greek Mythology and culture because I love all of that too. 

Skyscrapers, Cool Gadgets, Flying Cars, And All That, Futuristic Stuff - Oh man, thinking of futuristic settings is hard because I can't think of anything except the broad topic of FUTURE. So, I guess I would like a book that explores a setting with a future envisioned by, us? Or more specifically Back to the Future? With flying cars, tall skyscrapers, those pills we were promised that would make us never age again (I read this in a National Geographic Kids Magazine, those liars).

Prehistoric Life - Hence why I am looking forward to Ivory and Bone so much. And it would just seem really cool to read a novel that revolves around this setting.


Genetic Manipulation - You know, like that movie GATTACA? Please raise your hand if you've watched it. Because I would totally love a novel that explored the issues of genetic modification and perfect children, etc.

Mayan, Aztec, Incan - You know what would be really cool? If a book was about the disappearance of the Mayans (or at least I think they disappeared, I don't know middle school teaches some things that may not be accurate) and how it happened? Or maybe just this general setting. That's cool too.

Time Travel - I know, I knowwww. But I'm running out of ideas! And wouldn't it be awesome if in the future we could time travel? Except I know that won't happen because then I would see people from the future by now (unless they're hidden). But maybe a story that explores the issues of time travel in a futuristic setting? I know Pastwatch kind of did that, but not fully. 

Medieval Times - I guess. I think I'm mostly basing this off the setting The Falconer was in, because I liked it. But it wasn't exactly Medieval. So. Uh. I don't know. But I guess I also wouldn't mind a novel involving the knights of the round table or something? Merlin? Castles and wars and all that fun stuff?

The Apocalypse - Because WHY NOT. Let's throw some characters into a life of VOIDNESS and watch them struggle! Like really struggle. But not like The Road, because that was hella sad.


Done! What were some of your historical or futuristic settings? Any books to suggest?
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.