Friday, February 9, 2018

How To Survive A Book Buying Ban


I've realized that I have been writing and posting way too many reviews in a row (who AM I??), yet this post that I was supposed to write in January just never happened. So here I am, with non-review post. Sorry for the delay.

Anyways, this year, I am greatly limiting the number of books bought. I think. Or at least I'll try to. And so in this post, I'll be sharing tips on how I resist the temptation to buy books. And survive the book buying ban.


1. Buy or preorder only the books that you desperately need
Let's be honest, how many books do you buy that just sit on your shelf, collecting dust? A LOT. So stop! I know, easier said than done. But no you don't need the book with the pretty cover if you're not interested in actually reading it.

2. Stick to bargain books and deals
Wait for the deals! I guarantee that a book will show up on Book Outlet or as a Kindle deal at some point! So if you only kind of want to read a book, then maybe wait for a lower price, or find it in the bargain section of your bookstore.

3. Buy used!
If you don't care about a book's condition, buy used! Especially if it's a book that is on your TBR, but doesn't have the best-looking cover, or you just couldn't care less about. Just last year, I wanted to own the entire Mediator series by Meg Cabot, but they were a bit expensive on Amazon. I found the whole series on the used books shelf of my local bookstore, all 6 for only $15! And the books barely looked used, it was great.

4. Remember that you have a ton of unread books
Sometimes I just have to remember that I have a bunch of books on my shelves that I haven't read yet. And also all the kindle books too.

5. Make your friends send you books
I made Shannon send me some books that she was unhauling, AND THEY ARE NOW MINE. It's also great because I'm technically helping her make space in her room, while getting something in return.

6. Borrow books!
I really need to utilize the town library, because they stock up on SO MANY new YA releases. I am so spoiled. I also borrow a lot of adult books too, because those tend to be much more expensive than YA books. And I don't care about owning physical copies of adult books as much as YA ones.

7. Give up and buy all the books anyways?
JUST KIDDING HOW COULD I POSSIBLY SURVIVE? I guess we'll see how I do by the end of the year. Womp womp.


Have you ever done a book buying ban? What tips do you have to get through it?
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.