Thursday, November 16, 2017

No Review Required: The Hype Monster Strikes!

OK SO THE TITLE OF THIS POST IS SLIGHTLY MISLEADING, as only one of the books discussed here was killed by the hype. But nevertheless, I hope you enjoy both of these not-required mini reviews!


Gonna be honest, I knew this wasn’t going to live up to my expectations at all, mainly because I just kept hearing about how great this book was over and over again. But again, I had the book, why not read it. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. And to be fair, I was (a bit).

“Every person has the power to change their fate if they are brave enough to fight for what they desire more than anything.”

For one, it wasn’t predictable whatsoever. I mean, I kept thinking to myself “oh I totally know how this is going to end”. But I, alongside the main character Scarlet, was tricked too. So, there’s that. On the flip side, okay??? I guess that can happen?? I mean I knew going in this wouldn’t be a gruesome, creepy circus book. Especially when the tone at times was off a bit (Spoiler, highlight to read: Like I knew people who were dead were NOT staying dead. I could tell that this was not going to be that kind of book).

Now the real question is, do I want to read the sequel. Yes??? I think? I mean, I usually don’t rate these mini reviews, but I would say this is a 3.5 stars from me. If the second book is as quick as a read as this one, then I’ll probably be borrowing it from the library. But I’m still debating haha.

To conclude, if you have time or have a copy, pick this up. It is an enjoyable read, I just didn’t find it as mind-blowing or good as everyone who’s said so.


THIS BOOK. Okay, so I put this review second because I know everyone is gonna be more interested in what I have to say about Caraval over this. Which I know, sad, but no one really knows The Witcher video game? WELL newsflash, it’s a great game, AND Netflix is making it into a series! And so, this is the book series that inspired the video game, and in turn the TV series.

“To be neutral does not mean to be indifferent or insensitive. You don't have to kill your feelings. It's enough to kill hatred within yourself.”

Well what can I say, it 100% exceeded my expectations. And mostly because I KNOW many of the characters, and I just loved spending more time with them. And one of the reasons why I started with this book (book 3), is because this is where the main plot kind of starts. I think the first two books focus more on the main character himself, WHICH I will get to at some point.

But anyways, yes, this was great. Though I do have to say that there wasn’t much action, and it was more of setting the scene for the rest of the books. But I’m just glad I got to read about young Ciri, because she was definitely a favorite in the game.

If you’re not a video game fan, this book might not interest you as much. BUT it is still a really good fantasy series, and so I highly suggest you give it a chance!


Have you read or heard of these? What were your thoughts on Caraval if you have read it? How do you feel about the "hype monster", and what do you do to combat it?
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.