Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Disappointing Reads of 2017


I don’t know about you, but 2017 hasn’t exactly been the greatest year for reading. For me at least. I don’t know what it is, maybe it’s just the fact that it’s a continuation of the dumpster fire from 2016. Or just the fact that I don’t want to waste time on mediocre books nowadays. And so that’s why I’ll be sharing 2017 releases I either read and hated or DNFed this year! (Also my favorite person*, Ely, ever shared her disappointing reads too!)

* this applies to more than one person, DO NOT COME AT ME.


I mean, I am not surprised I was let down by this book. To be fair, I did enjoy reading this, but Aristotle and Dante just blew my mind. I mean, yes, I kind of had pretty high expectations, which led to my overall disappointment, sadly.

I’m mainly sad about this book because it was just overall more simple than I thought it would be. Also I remember almost nothing from it. I know I had high hopes for this because someone (cough Shannon) convinced me it was a great read (IT’S OK SHANNON I STILL LOVE YOU).

THIS. I would say, and I’m probably not alone in this, was my biggest disappointment. Like I was really expecting amazing things. Amazing characters, well-developed world-building. And yes, the female relationship was there, but everything else … wasn’t.

I DNFed this. It was just rubbing me the wrong way. I felt uneasy uneasy about how I'm made to feel sympathetic about privileged people being targeted and oppressed by the bad guys...which are poor people.

I did like A Million Junes, but again, it just did not live up to the author’s first book.

The fact that I cannot even remember this tells me that it wasn’t memorable whatsoever. Like…what happened? At least this isn’t part of a series, haha.

I was a bit disappointed in this because I was misled by the pretty cover. LIED TO! The synopsis talked about serpents and perhaps mythical creatures? But I…didn’t get any of that. And the writing style, it’s very…British? But like, classic literature British (think Pride and Prejudice and To the Lighthouse). And I am just not a fan.

I DNFed this one too. Too much talking about hair, and…curses? Uh, something along those lines.

Or wait, maybe it was this book? I cannot tell the difference between the above book, and this one? All of them involve a group of girls, forbidden love, I don’t even know anymore, I feel like that trope is waaaay overused at this point. Also I DNFed this.

This one saddens me, because I really did want to like it. I heard such great reviews, yet I don’t know. I guess this one just didn’t work for me?


Is it just me, or have there been a lot of mediocre reads this year? More so compared to past years? Maybe my tolerance is going down...
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.