Friday, December 29, 2017

End of the Year Book Survey 2017


And here we are, another year come and gone. Where does the time go honestly?

So here I am, filling out the 2017 version of the book survey, which looking back, I definitely did not blog as much as I did in the past years. Mainly because 2017 (like 2016) has been a mess. I'm hoping that 2018 will be the year where I get into blogging, as I kind of did in November (like seriously, I used to average 15 posts a month, now it's like 3). But nevertheless, I'M STILL HERE.

And now I'll go through my year in books! Woo.

(This was created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner, and here's the link back to the original post if you want to do your own!)


Number Of Books You Read: 66
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy & Sci-fi (feels like a tie!)



1. Best Book You Read In 2017? Very close tie between the both of these, so I'm cheating again.

 

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? You mean like, most of the new releases? Haha.

   

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Surprised by the plot AND by how much I loved it.


4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? I made everyone read Starfish and they DID read it and loved it! So GO ME.


5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017? Surprise! I finished a series this year!

  

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017? Akemi Dawn Bowman, author of Starfish. I will read everything you write.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? Was in verse and was just not something I thought I would enjoy at all! I was proven wrong.


8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? This was honestly NOTHING what I expected.


9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Last year I said I would reread A Gathering of Shadows, and of course I did not. So this year, I would probably say...


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017? I just cannot get over how gorgeous the color scheme is. And of course cannot forget about Wild Beauty.

 

11. Most memorable character of 2017? Oh I don't know, there's Lila Bard from A Conjuring of Light, Agnieszka from Uprooted. KIKO FROM STARFISH. Basically all the books I've already listed haha.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017? Most of the books I've read this year are incredibly written, but I'll go with...


13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017? This is a reread, but still one of my favorites, and SUPER thought provoking. Like what would you do if you knew how you died?


14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read? I've been meaning to read this when it first came out. DON'T KNOW WHY I WAITED SO LONG.


15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017? From Good Omens

“He stared down at the golden curls of the Adversary, Destroyer of Kings, Angel of the Bottomless Pit, Great Beast that is called Dragon, Prince of This World, Father of Lies, Spawn of Satan, and Lord of Darkness.

"You know," he concluded, after a while, "I think he actually looks like an Adam.” 

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?


17. Book That Shocked You The Most. I just honestly cannot believe what I read, like this was phenomenal, and 100% nothing I expected.


18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) The Dragon and Agnieszka from Uprooted!

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year. Crowley and Aziraphale from Good Omens!

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously: Let's be honest, all of Shaun Hutchinson's books are my faves.


21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: Vanessa pushed Good Omens on me, EVEN THOUGH SHE HADN'T EVEN READ IT. It was still a good pitch though. And in the end I LOVED it.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017? No new fictional crushes for me this year!

23. Best 2017 debut you read? I don't think I can stress this enough, but


24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

 

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? I mean, look, here's the pitch. Imagine the Anti-Christ accidentally switching places with a normal child from a normal family in England? And everyone in hell is freaking out because they LOST the Anti-Christ. Chaos ensues. AND A TV SERIES IS IN PRODUCTION AND I'M SO EXCITED.


26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017? Was not prepared for Goodbye Days.


27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? Not enough people are talking about this book. Which is why, yes, it's on my list like five times.



28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? None because I may have avoided all emotionally heavy books this year. Hoping to get to them next year, but not sure. NO SOUL CRUSHING BOOKS FOR ME, THAT ALREADY HAPPENS TO ME IN REAL LIFE.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?


30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Which I do feel sad about, but it did make me angry, and I felt attacked ("I came out to have a good time and I'm honestly feeling so attacked right now", fun story I recently pulled this line out in front of my parents, and they didn't get it. I don't know what I was expecting, but STILL.)



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017? I discovered so many blogs this year, but I'm going to have to go with Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017? I'm not sure because I feel like I didn't write as many reviews this year. I guess I'll say my review of Good Omens.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? When I ranted about how I've been seriously slacking on blogging.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? When I went to ALA 2017, which was in Atlanta, with Holly, Shannon, and Rashika. It was a blast and hopefully we'll all be able to get together again soon! 

Also when Joey @ thoughts and afterthoughts asked me to participate in the Thinker Awards for 2017!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017? I guess this is more related to Instagram, but when I reached 500 followers on there, and just overall started having a better experience. (The app itself on the other hand is a piece of work)

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? My blogging and reading slumps. They were worse this year than usual, with this stupid presidency, all the work I had to do for grad school. Life is rough.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? It should be the Make Me Read It Readathon sign ups page! (There's also this one review that has about 700 views and I'm like...why? I don't think that's right?)

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? I guess some of my mini-reviews of backlist books!

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? RivetedLit, because they had a free book to read a day up until Christmas!

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Yes because GUESS WHAT. My Goodreads Challenge was 1 book, and obviously I was able to complete that! 


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018? Oh hmm.

Some reasons why I just haven't gotten to THUG yet is 1) my friend had my copy for a long, long time, and 2) I didn't think I was emotionally ready for it. Am I now? Not sure, but I do seriously need to read it.

  

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)? Along with a bunch others that don't have covers yet!

   

3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? LOOK IT'S ANOTHER BOOK WITH A HALF ASIAN HALF WHITE MAIN CHARACTER. WOW.


4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018? 

  

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018? I really want to get back into the blogging "flow", and write an average of 10 posts a month. Like I did in the past. I also want to reach 1000 followers on Instagram next year, but it won't be a big deal if I don't since it's not in my control at all.

6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: I'm cheating a bit because technically this already came out in the UK, but IT WILL COME OUT IN THE US IN 2018. And then I also really liked Meet Cute!

 


WHEW I ANSWERED ALL THE QUESTIONS.

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to another year of book blogging!
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.