Saturday, November 29, 2014

Review: The Dream Thieves

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
The Raven Cycle #2
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Release Date: May 17th, 2013
Source: Physical
Date Read: 11/11/14 to 11/28/14
448 Pages
Rating: 


If you could steal things from dreams, what would you take?

Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.

One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.

And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.

Ronan is one of the raven boys - a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface - changing everything in its wake.

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository


In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them.
Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness.
Her raven boys.

YES MY RAVEN BOYS BECAUSE THEY ARE MY BABIES. This includes Blue too!


When you find a book that's so beautifully written, the intent is to slowly savor it and take in everything a little at a time. This did not happen with the Dream Thieves, though not because it was bad, but because it was too damn good (sorry for the little swear).

Too suspenseful.
Too action-packed.
Too wonderful, with its fully developed characters, that I am convinced exist someone out there in another universe BECAUSE they sound so real. Seriously, someone needs to get me a Noah because he is way too adorable.

If you haven't read the first book in the series, The Raven Boys, I recommend that you take the time during your winter break to READ IT! And also feel free to skim the review even though there are no spoilers. It might just make you confused though. Haha. I feel like I've been pushing you bloggers to read everything in the past month. THAT'S OKAY!

The Dream Theives Thieves (wow I can't spell "thieves") features real characters with their real problems. Well, when I say problems I mean dreamers, their monsters, psychics, and ley lines. Oh and don't forget those hit men and thugs too. It sounds unrealistic, but Stiefvater makes it sound like it's completely normal in the world.

SERIOUSLY, this book has beautiful writing that sucks you in. It's different than your average detailed novel, where instead of info-dumping the life out of you, the author uses lyrical prose to weave together an intricate story filled with AMAZINGNESS AND CHARACTERS AND just, just read this beautifulness. 

Want and need were words that got eaten smaller and smaller: Freedom, autonomy, a perennial bank balance, a stainless-steel condo in a dustless city, a silky black car, to make out with Blue, eight hours of sleep, a cell phone, a bed, to kiss Blue just once, a blister-less heel, bacon for breakfast, to hold Blue's hand, one hour of sleep, toilet paper, deodorant, a soda, a minute to close his eyes.

The one downfall to this though, is that it's sometimes hard to understand. The whole series itself isn't what I would call a light read. Sometimes it takes multiple rereads to get what's happening, or sometimes you have to go back because you didn't catch something. But in the end, it's completely worth it because THIS BOOK GUYS.

And gah, Ronan. To be honest, I didn't like Ronan much in the first book which was why I was surprised that many readers like him the best (or at least I think they do). But I know why now! The ability to steal from dreams? And even without that, Ronan himself is the most complex, and honestly it'll probably take a couple rereads to fully understand him as a person. Although the book centers around Ronan, good amounts were still dedicated to Ganesy, Adam, and Blue. Though I wish there was more on Noah. (my babyyyy)


I can say that I loved The Dream Thieves much more than its prequel. My reasoning? Well all my questions from the first book were answered! So yay to that! And also, though this may just be me, but I spent more time reading this book because I know that Stiefvater's writing is hard to process. SO I just focused really hard! And in the end I loved it! 

So yes, things to get from this review? One, READ THE FIRST BOOK. Then two, READ THIS ONE. And then three, READ THE THIRD BOOK WITH ME. Okay? okay. Good. Go go go. 
This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.