Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Review: Second Star

Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Release Date: May 13th, 2014
A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers.

Wendy is instantly drawn to the cove’s charismatic leader, Pete, but her search also points her toward Pete's nemesis, the drug-dealing Jas. Enigmatic, dangerous, and handsome, Jas pulls Wendy in even as she's falling hard for Pete. A radical reinvention of a classic, Second Star is an irresistible summer romance about two young men who have yet to grow up--and the troubled beauty trapped between them.



Taken from Goodreads

Start: 4/21/2014 | End: 4/23/2014 | Pages: 248 | Rating: 1.5 Stars 

My Thoughts:


I received this eARC from Netgalley. 

There are a lot of things I want to discuss about Second Star, and it being good is not one of them. The book's only 250 pages, and I never ever want to hear about surfing again. Before I "dive" into my review, I'm just going to list how many times these words popped up.

Surfer: 63 times
Ocean: 93 times
Beach: 175 times
Wave: 287 times!!!

This means that the word "wave" or "waves" appeared more than once on every page of this book. Like really? Can't you see how sick and tired I am of these words!


So here's the plot, and yes surprisingly there is one. Wendy is under the assumption that her brothers John and Michael, are out there somewhere catching the next big wave. Her parents, and everyone else, think they are dead. But instead of listening to them, Wendy travels to different beaches to look, one of them being Kensington. This is where she meets Pete.

Wendy spends most of her time at Kensington, trying to question the boys living there on whether they ever met her brothers. And she also meets Jas, the other surfer on the other side of the beach. 

She pretty much has a grand old time.

First off, I just want to say that Second Star is not realistic at all. Or maybe it is? Do parents let you go on a road trip all of a sudden without questioning you further? Do they not worry about you when you're gone for a good month? Are houses just randomly abandoned for teens to just occupy? And WHY IS EVERYONE IN THIS NOVEL SO SMART??

And also, after two pages into the book, I started laughing out loud at this line:  

'Surfers,' I whisper without meaning to.
Oh man. This is when you know you're in for a bad time. This really makes it seem like surfers are the worst people in the world. And also that Wendy hates them, which doesn't make any sense because a couple chapters later she's hanging out with them casually without a second thought.


I think this book would've been much better off in the third person. Second star is filled with Wendy's useless thoughts. Honestly I wanted to bash her on the head throughout the book. I absolutely hate idiot characters who don't know how to make decisions. Halfway through the novel, Wendy and Jas visit a creepy bar in order to question the people inside to see if they knew either Michael or John, and what does she do??? She immediately talks to the creepiest guy in the room. And then he comes after her and even follows her back to the car! I know you want to be brave, and I applaud yourself for that, but I'm not sure if that's the first guy you should've talked to.

The only reason why I'm giving Second Star at least 1 star is because there is resemblance between the real Peter Pan and this story, and I don't mean just the names. That was pretty much the only creative aspect though.

Yep. So basically, I personally don't recommend Second Star, but I bet some people will like it, especially if you like beaches and surfers and the west coast. But me, I didn't care about a thing in this book. Not the characters, the plot, nothing. I do not pity Wendy one bit.

For anyone else that has this book on their TBR list, I hope I didn't ruin anything for you! And thanks for reading my review/rant haha. But as you can see, I did not enjoy it.

✰1/2

17 comments:

  1. Bummer... at least you stuck it out and wrote and honest review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Emily. It was tough, but I haven't been reading any of my Netgalley requested books, so I thought I should get on that.

      Delete
  2. Aww I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book. Read through everything in your review and I could understand as to why it irritated you so much. At least your review is honest; I've never had the heart to completely rant about a book that I receive from authors because sometimes I'm afraid of upsetting them and make readers lose interest on their books :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, and I never rant on it if I receive it from the author personally. However, since it's from NetGalley, I'm more honest about it.

      But I definitely think it's better to be very honest about a book, just to let the author know what to improve on. But the reader shouldn't be completely bashing the author and saying that he or she sucks (bad bad bad every writer starts somewhere), because that's not fair to them.

      Though I admit I end up ranting a little too much (lol jk I mean a lot), just because I'm way too focused into the story and I forget that someone actually wrote this. But hey, I bet someone else will give this book 5 stars!!

      Delete
  3. When I first started reading the review and saw the description I thought it was pretty cool...then I continued on. Will definitely not be wasting my time with this book. 287 times with one word! That would drive me nuts. At least you stuck it out though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skimmed through the end because it was driving me crazy. This book was very hard to stick to, I'm hoping that my next NetGalley book is not this bad.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha! This is such a great ranty review, and the book sounds like it deserves it. I don't even want to get started on how much repeated words bother me, and unrealistic plots can be equally annoying. I love road trip books, but my parents would never be okay with my suddenly leaving for a month, and I would never be okay with occupying a random abandoned house! Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I'll definitely pass this one up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa thanks Emily I'm glad people are enjoying my ranty reviews! (I personally love them). I'm going on a road trip in may and my friend and I planned every single detail, and then had to show our parents, 3 months in advanced. That's why I thought this was so unrealistic.

      Delete
  5. I've been reading some awful things about this novel. I really wanted to read it (I also got an ARC from Netgalley) but I'm not sure I want to waste my time on something everyone hates. :I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This novel has many mixed reviews, but I'm not surprised that so many people didn't like it. It's just really hard reading some really amazing books, and then going to this.

      Delete
  6. I am glad I am not the only one who sees all the repetitive words!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, dang! That's disappointing! I LOVE Peter Pan, it's like my favourite fairy tale/classic of all time...and I just read Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson, which was fabulous. x) Buuut...the parents-not-questioning-their-sudden-leaving-children is odd to say the least. And Wendy sounds utterly irritating. :( Bleh. So sad! I think I'll still read this one if I can find it, but I won't be buying it just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, 287 times? Jeez! I was excited for this book when I first heard about it and all I knew was it was a loose retelling of Peter Pan and then I found out what it was really about and lost every bit of interest and considering I have seen nothing but bad reviews I don't think I will be picking this one up. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this book especially since I have the ARC to review lol but you never know I may like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should read it, I'll be looking forward to your review!!

      Delete
  10. I've been seeing a couple of review's about this book and I was kinda interested with reading it, but at the same time I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good. It's hard to adopt the Peter Pan story in general, and changing it into surfers? Weird. Very weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah if I were to ever read another Peter Pan retelling, it would have to involve some sort of fantasy aspect, and not surfers or waves or drugs...

      Delete

I absolutely love receiving comments, checking out new blogs, and replying back, either here or on your own blog :3

This site uses IntenseDebate to manage comment data. Learn more about how that is processed here.